My Mother-In-Law’s Pecan Candy
*My mother-in-law says pecan candy but they’re better known as pralines.*
As you know, I don’t cook but this recipe is simple enough even for me to make! I tried to find pictures of us eating these but I guess we we were all too excited for them to cool to think about taking photos!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups pecan bits
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon light rum
- butter for baking sheet
- Melt 4 TBL of butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir in sugars, salt and cream.
- Bring to a boil, while saucepan is covered.
- Once boiling, lift the lid and test. Drop a spoonful of mixture into a cup of cold water. If a ball forms, remove from heat.
- Stir in toasted pecans*, vanilla and rum.
- Stir until the color of the mixture becomes creamy and not glossy.
- Drop tablespoons of mixture onto buttered glass cookie sheet.
- Cool to room temperature and enjoy!
- Helpful Hint: Make sure the house is not humid (they won’t harden), turn on the air conditioning if needed!
*To toast pecans, heat an ungreased skillet and stir the pecans around until they darken. They should begin to emit a nutty aroma as well.